Friday, July 12, 2013

More Prototyping

First, I built the circuit on a bread board using "macroscopic" parts ("macroscopic" is my personal colloquialism). See below: 


What the circuit was designed for: 
This is a simple blink circuit. Suppose the LED on the right blinks first, for x 
amount of time. The LED on the left will blink for x amount of time once the 
right LED ceases to blink. This pattern repeats. 

The purpose of it's creation was two-fold. Firstly, there was a surplus of LEDs, 
resistor, and capacitors. Secondly, this particular circuit is very forgiving for 
the novice; It's pretty tough to blow out the LEDS, you can interchange 
resistors and capacitors and get the same circuit behavior (so long as:
 tau = R*C = constant), and you can experiment to come to understand
RC-circuit behavior by changing out resistors and/or capacitors, in a 
thoughtful and mindful way. Thus, the learner's kit was born and will be 
on sale in a matter of time.

To ensure that the prototype circuit was identical to my bread board circuit, I mapped out what I had (i.e. prototype) against what I wanted (i.e. bread board circuit):



The prototype (incomplete at this point in time): 



To get a "feel" for the contrast between the "macroscopic" and "infinitesimal" parts I deal with, here is a photo comparing both sizes of transistors:


Needless to say, it is a good thing that the "microscope" pieces are so inexpensive, seeing as how easy it is to loose one of them!    : /

This is a picture of the Red Bull I was consuming while working:



( I felt obligated to show my respect to such a precious thing, as one of my sacred source of caffeine!)




It is interesting to note that the transistors were SO small I had to manually cut two of the the stripes of medal backings with an exacto-knife (remember: this is the PROTOTYPE. The official kits are made using machines)! Good thing I am endowed with patience-- not that it wasn't tried! 

More on THIS to come (the circuit, not the Red Bull-- well, maybe that too  ;)   ! ).



No comments:

Post a Comment